An examination of the target audience is crucial for communication to be successful. This group is very diverse and dissimilar. So the message has to be kept in mind by the presenter. The presenter has to be very effective in the message that he is trying to convey and to connect with his audience effectually.
The presenter has to analyze his or her target audience so that his or her speech will have an enduring effect on the listeners. The analysis is meant to make sure that the audience understand the message that is trying to be relayed. It will comprise of all elements that deal with the target audience in reference to their age, culture, ability and education.
Doing an analysis is vital for the target audience because it will help the presenter to include more information in his or her presentation and substance so that it will be relevant and collaborative. The group consists of people where this is their first job and veterans of the workforce. This group has an age difference as well as differences in ethnicity and it also includes two people with a disability.
With the group consisting of new entrants to the workforce and veterans, the veterans of the group can be helpful with the presentation and the group’s activities. They can relate their experiences to the younger members of the group. They can also share their assessment on how the work place has changed and how important diversity is and how important it is to be able to communicate with a diverse workforce.
The demographics of this group has to be completely comprehended so as not to offend anyone or that anyone in the audience will associate with. The presenter has to keep in mind that some in the audience might have a different understanding of what is being presented. The more experienced employees of the group will probably have a more understanding but the new younger applicants may now have an understanding of why having a diverse workforce is needed. Also why a cross-cultural workforce is needed. It is imperative that the audience is all on the same page and understands the fundamentals and how important the topic is and that their interest is maintained throughout the presentation.
Doing an audience analysis will also help with documenting the feedback from the audience. This could help with future presentations and make the next presentation more relevant to the audience.
Since the group audience consists of twenty people, the room could have five round tables with four chairs and each table. This will ensure a more interactive participation among those at the tables. The group can get better acquainted with each other. Each table should have a diverse group. Each occupants at each table should be as follows:
• One upper level employee.
• Three entry level employees that have some business experience.
• One entry level employee with no business experience.
The two disabled hires should be seated at different tables. Additional elements that should be considered when choosing the three entry level employees at each table and on the whole the seating arrangement should be:
If at all possible each table should be diverse so that the meeting will be more collaborative and knowledgeable. Each participate should present personal information and thought-provoking facts about themselves.
Since the subject of this lecture is “Communicating with a cross-cultural workforce” the substance should be about the ensuing topics:
• Background of the organization with respect to the work force.
• On how the organization supports working with a gender and racially diverse workforce.
• On how the differently abled people are given a common platform to perform and showcase their skills.
• On how the different organizations have evolved into places with profound diversity and how it is helping business do better with different perspectives.
• The presentation should also include the need for such diversity at workplace and how this view has been adopted by successful organizations world over.
The presentation should keep the audience attention throughout the program. If it is too long you will lose their interest.
Handouts should include:
• A welcome kit and a profile of whoever is giving the presentation.
• Include data about such as e other employees in the audience their education, and work experience.
• Data on the company and the workforce in the company.
• A form for the participants to give feedback and make recommendations.
• A short multiple choice test to see how well the participants were paying attention to the presentation.
For visual aide include videos about other organizations that have implemented and promoted a diverse cultural plan such as McDonalds, Target, and Apple.
Barrett, D. (2009). Leadership Communication, 3rd Edition. [Vital Source Bookshelf version]. Retrieved from http://digitalbookshelf.southuniversity.edu/books/0077435176/id/ch09
Audience Analysis. Retrieved from www.audienceanalysis.org